We already know how I feel about numbers (some numbers anyway).
But I am also a fiendish friend of words.
These are some of my favourite that I try to use in everyday conversation.
By conversation I mainly mean Facebook status updates....
Nonsensical.
Pertaining to nonsense, making no sense.
'The gibberish you speak is completely nonsensical.'
Discombobulate.
To confuse.
'Your words discombobulate me.'
Defenestration.
To throw something, or someone out of a window.
'The defenestration of Sarah's computer was witnessed by many, and applauded by all.'
Spiflicate.
Annihilate, or more specifically, to rip your head off.
(As my Mother used it) 'Clean your room or I'll spiflicate you!'
I once tried to start a revival for the use of spiflicate as it is no longer found in a lot of dictionaries.
Apparently it was popular back in ye olde times.
But dictionaries aren't really a guiding reference for all things semantic.
Ever wonder why "new" versions of dictioaries are published every year??
It's because they fold to popular demand and change which words are actual words, and which words are just made up slang.
This makes for some very heated arguments while playing scrabble.
Which brings me to another point, Scrabble have to print their own dictionary of which words they consider to be valid, simply to avoid bloodshed.
The Dictionary people also then decide which words are no longer words....
Huh?
I'm sorry, but once a word, always a word.
It is due to this reason that spiflicate is now no longer available for your referencing pleasure in most "new" dictionaries.
So I say:
BRING BACK SPIFLICATE!!!
Note: Spiflicate, not spiflocate.
Very different meaning....
I challenge all who read this to use spiflicate at least once a day for the next week.
Go on, I dare you!
YAY!




Hiç yorum yok:
Yorum Gönder